gala adj : offering fun and gaiety; "a gala ball after the inauguration"; "a festive (or festal) occasion"; "gay and exciting night life"; "a merry evening" [syn: gala(a), gay, festal, festive, merry] n : a gay festivity [syn: gala affair, jamboree, blowout]
- Rhymes: -ɑːlə
- to crow (chicken)
EtymologyFrom the word gallus meaning "chicken". From the greek word 'γάλα' (gala) meaning milk.
- to crow
- nominative plural of gal
Nounsv-noun-reg-or gal gala
Gala may refer to:
Specific events and event types
Organization, company and brand names
- GALA, the Globalization and Localization Association (GALA)
- Gala Group, a betting shop (Coral) and bingo hall (Gala Bingo) operator based in the United Kingdom
- Gala TV, the television channel produced by Gala Bingo
- GALA Choruses, an association of GLBT choral groups
- Gala RFC, a rugby club in Galashiels, Scotland
- "Gala", the nickname of Galatasaray S.K., a football (soccer) club in Turkey
- Gala, King of the Masaesyles of eastern Numidia
- Gala Dalí (1894–1982), the wife of French poet Paul Éluard and Catalan painter Salvador Dalí
- Gala Darling (b. 1983), fashion writer
- Antonio Gala (b. 1936), Spanish poet and novelist.
- Gala (singer), New York-based singer/songwriter whose hits include 'Freed from Desire', 'Let a Boy a Cry', 'Come into my Life', 'Faraway', 'Tough Love'
- See also Galla Placidia, Roman empress, daughter of Emperor Theodosius the Great.
Fiction, film and gaming
gala in Catalan: Gala
gala in German: Gala
gala in Spanish: Gala
gala in French: Gala
gala in Galician: Gala
gala in Dutch: Gala
gala in Japanese: ガラ
gala in Polish: Gala
gala in Portuguese: Gala
Mardi Gras, Saturnalia, ball, banquet, blowout, carnival, celebration, celebratory, cheerful, cheery, convivial, do, event, fair, feast, festal, festival, festive, festive occasion, festivity, fete, field day, fiesta, gala affair, gala day, gay, gladsome, gleeful, great doings, happening, happy, high jinks, hilarious, holiday, holy day, jamboree, jolly, jovial, joyful, joyous, kermis, merry, merrymaking, occasion, on the loose, pageant, party, picnic, red-letter day, waygoose, wayzgoose